Temperature ratings for Zed OrinNX + Zed X Stereo

Hi all,

Great ecosystem of products here. Quick question about temperature ratings. The Zed OrinNX box datasheet specs a +70C operating temperature. The Zed X specs a +55C operating temperature.

For lack of a better way to phrase this… what are these numbers? Are they maximum ambient temperatures in free air? Are they maximum ambient temperatures assuming X airflow? Are they maximum case temperatures? Are they maximum internal die temperatures?

IF those numbers are ambient air temperature… what power dissipation from the NX does that +70C depend on? 10W? 20W?

For the Orin NX box specifically… is the real temperature limit +85C reported by the CPU die? (I think this is actually the Orin NX card spec, but I could be wrong).

For context, in my EE experience, a rating like this is typically an ambient temperature rating alongside a nominal (or maximum) power dissipation. For example, “this product operates in +70C air while dissipating 20W of power”.

My concern about this interpretation of the temperature rating is based on forum threads such as these, where we seem to be discussing reported internal temperatures or case temperatures rather than ambients:

I also see reference to an 85C die temperature in this thread: Zed Box Orin NX Overheating and abrupt Restart - #5 by SanjaiKrishnaa

Hoping for some wisdom here, thank you!

Hello,

Does this mean that this question was sent to support@stereolabs.com as well as posted on the forums?

Thanks,

Sam

Hi @geckosam,

Welcome to the Stereolabs forums :wave:

Thanks for reaching out, posting on the forums goes through the same place as emailing to support@stererolabs.com, so you are definitely in the right place.

I am transferring this to the correct people in our hardware team, which should get back to you soon.

Hi,

Those numbers are the maximum recommended temperature of the product in ambient air without air flow.
After those temperature, the box or the camera won’t stop but will have degraded performances :

• For the Box, This is based on the CPU internal die temperature. After that temperature is reached, the CPU/GPU will gradually limit its power to reach an acceptable temperature.
    Those measure has been performed on constant rate power (i.e. 25W for NX16, 20 for NX8, as MAXN depends too much on the power input).

• For the camera, it is the temperature of the imaging sensor (or the temperature provided by the near T° sensor close to each sensors). After that temperature, the calibration might be too impacted by the change of temperature and quality of the SDK modules (depth, tracking, etc…) will be reduced.

Best,
Olivier

Olivier Braun
Lead Developer
Stereolabs Support