Questions for remote streaming

I have a use case where a robot needs to do some cv stuff with zed meanwhile stream the images to a remote machine for monitoring purpose. My first attempt is to use the remote streaming feature from the SDK but found the ros node subscribing nothing once I first enable the streaming mode in another non-ros process. Similarly, when the zed ros node starts first, I couldn’t get the steaming work.

Now I notice that the ros wrapper has a service named start_remote_stream, I yet have no time this week to do further test on it, but want to get a quick answer whether executing a call to the remote streaming service would stop other stuff such as subscribing to image topics from working.

Another thing that I want to confirm is if it’s possible to receive the streaming on remote machine without SDK installed by using a video player that supports protocol like rtp? SDK and even CUDA requirement reduces the deployment flexibility for a simple monitoring end.

Hi @madjxatw
welcome to the Stereolabs community.

No, the streaming service runs in parallel without affecting the node behaviors.

No, the ZED SDK is required to process this kind of stream.

For remote monitoring you can use a ROS node that subscribes to ZED image topics and sends them using standard protocols, for example: video_stream_opencv - ROS Wiki

Hi @Myzhar
Thank you for the useful info! As my understanding, the video_stream_opencv package is used to take a video stream as input and publish it in an ROS image topic, which means that I have to install ROS on the remote monitoring end. I have no plan to introduce ROS on the remote side for the sake of simplicity and flexibility.

My current approach is subscribing to a ZED image topic and sending the images over UDP for lower network latency. However, considering the bandwidth and the size limit of a single UDP packet, I would prefer to use RTSP instead. This requires redirecting the subscribed images to an RTSP server, is there any easy-to-reach solution that you can advice?

@madjxatw this is what you are searching for:

mmm this could be a solution to stream rtsp video from the jetson xavier nx with low latency? My goal is to onboard the zed camera on a robot and be able to control it without relying on a cuda graphics card.