ZED X Camera Driver issue, Camera not detected!

Hello I am setting up the zed x camera on a jetson xavier NX using a carrier board from connect tech and the GMSL2 interface card from the stereolabs website.

nvidia@Xavier:~/jetsonUtilities$ python3 jetsonInfo.py 
NVIDIA Jetson-AGX
 L4T 35.4.1 [ JetPack UNKNOWN ]
   Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
   Kernel Version: 5.10.120-tegra
 CUDA 11.4.315
   CUDA Architecture: NONE
 OpenCV version: 4.5.4
   OpenCV Cuda: NO
 CUDNN: 8.6.0.166
 TensorRT: 8.5.2.2
 Vision Works: NOT_INSTALLED
 VPI: 2.3.9
 Vulcan: 1.3.204

I installed the ZED_SDK_Tegra_L4T35.4_v4.0.7.zstd.run file for the SDK and installed stereolabs-zedx_0.6.1-MAX96712-L4T35.4.1_arm64.deb for the zed X drivers following that and rebooted. However when running any of the examples I get zed camera not found.

nvidia@Xavier:/usr/local/zed/samples/tutorials/tutorial 1 - hello ZED/cpp$ ./ZED_Tutorial_1 
Error CAMERA NOT DETECTED, exit program.

I am getting these errors during the startup of the zed x daemon:

nvidia@Xavier:~/jetsonUtilities$ systemctl status zed_x_daemon.service 
● zed_x_daemon.service - ZED-X Daemon service
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/zed_x_daemon.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2023-09-28 18:31:30 EDT; 1h 41min ago
   Main PID: 1443 (ZEDX_Daemon)
      Tasks: 3 (limit: 37110)
     Memory: 18.4M
     CGroup: /system.slice/zed_x_daemon.service
             └─1443 /usr/sbin/ZEDX_Daemon

Sep 28 18:31:30 Xavier systemd[1]: Started ZED-X Daemon service.
Sep 28 18:31:31 Xavier ZEDX_Daemon[1443]: [ "Thu Sep 28 18:31:31 2023" ]  ** Start ZED-X Daemon
Sep 28 18:31:31 Xavier ZEDX_Daemon[1443]: [ "Thu Sep 28 18:31:31 2023" ]  ** Searching for Preload file  "/etc/systemd/system/zed_x_daemon.preload"  :  false
Sep 28 18:31:31 Xavier ZEDX_Daemon[1443]: [ "Thu Sep 28 18:31:31 2023" ]   Process  "rmmod sl_zedx" outputs  "rmmod: ERROR: Module sl_zedx is not currently loaded\n"
Sep 28 18:31:31 Xavier ZEDX_Daemon[1443]: ** ZED-X Driver loaded
Sep 28 18:31:31 Xavier ZEDX_Daemon[1443]: [ "Thu Sep 28 18:31:31 2023" ]  ** Searching for Postload file  "/etc/systemd/system/zed_x_daemon.postload"  :  false
Sep 28 18:31:31 Xavier ZEDX_Daemon[1443]: [ "Thu Sep 28 18:31:31 2023" ]  ** Created Endpoint  "tcp://127.0.0.1:20026"

The preload and postload files its looking for don’t exist and im not sure how I can force the system to load the sl_zedx module.

nvidia@Xavier:~/jetsonUtilities$ sudo modprobe sl_zedx
[sudo] password for nvidia: 
modprobe: FATAL: Module sl_zedx not found in directory /lib/modules/5.10.120-tegra

The ZED_Diagnostic command does not produce any meaningful output.

nvidia@Xavier:~/jetsonUtilities$ sudo ZED_Diagnostic --dmesg

- Running Log Kernel Trace Diagnostic : OK  

I am not booting from NVME, my system is running directly from the emmc

nvidia@Xavier:~/jetsonUtilities$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p1   28G   19G  7.2G  73% /
none             16G     0   16G   0% /dev
tmpfs            16G     0   16G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           3.1G   27M  3.1G   1% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs            16G     0   16G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           3.1G   20K  3.1G   1% /run/user/124
tmpfs           3.1G  8.0K  3.1G   1% /run/user/1000

I do have an nvme drive physically connected, however it is not mounted as a drive in the operating system.

Is there any other tool that can produce logs to debug the connection? Are all the correct versions installed? Is there a way to force the driver to load?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @airfield20
Welcome to the Stereolabs community.

I’m sorry, but Connect Tech carrier boards with GMSL2 capabilities are not compatible with our products.
You can try to contact Connect Tech’s customer support to ask for more information.

Hi, @Myzhar

Thank you for replying quickly. I am using the gmsl2 capture card from the stereolabs website. GMSL2 Capture Card for ZED X Cameras | Stereolabs

This exact card. So you are saying even with this capture card connected the same exact way as it would be to the original dev kit, its still not compatible?

Again to clarify, the connect tech board does not have gmsl2 capabilities. I am using the stereolabs gmsl2 capture card.

Thanks

Yes, the connector of the Connect Tech carrier board does not provide the signals required by the Stereolabs capture card.
Even if it’s the same connector present on the NVIDIA AGX devkits, the compatibility is not respected.

Ok thank you for the clarification.

@Myzhar Do you have a list of carrier boards that are compatible with the zed x cameras?

@airfield20 you can look at the following carrier boards:

You can contact the respective manufacturers for more information

@Myzhar Are there any that support the AGX Xavier? Or are orin carriers the only supported ones?

@airfield20 as far as I know Orin and Xavier carrier boards are compatible.
I recommend to ask for this information to manufacturers before buying.

@Myzhar I am able to get the camera’s working now with the official nvidia carrier board and the GMSL2 interface board from the stereolabs website. Looks like this board is based on the MAX96712 chip.

This board also looks like its based on the same/similar chip: LI-JXAV-MAX96712-ADP-8CAM - Leopard Imaging Inc.

But this board supports 8 GMSL2 cameras instead of 4. Do you know if this board and other boards based on the MAX96712 chip would be compatible with the zed cameras? Is the chip model number a good indicator of compatibility? or does each board need its own drivers regardless.

The chip model is not the only requirement, even if it’s important.
Each board requires its own driver to correctly map the I/O.

Leopard’s capture card has 8 GMSL2 input, so it can potentially drive 4 ZED X cameras. You must consider each ZED X camera as two single GMSL2 devices.
Leopard is our partner, you can contact them at support@leopardimaging.com to get information regarding the compatibility.