ZED 2i camera (SDK 5.4.1) regularly disconnects

Hi, I have a ZED 2i camera that I’m using with an NVIDIA Jetson Thor. It is connected via USB. I am using ZED SDK 5.4.1.

After about 1-5 minutes of streaming video (720p, with the issue occurring at 15 FPS and 30 FPS), the camera will suddenly freeze up (sometimes the depth will become “white” in regions) and then it will “reboot/reconnect”. This occurs when trying to use the camera in ROS, but I also experience the issue when I plug the camera into a computer (laptop; tried with both Windows and Linux). When the camera fails in ROS it’ll state “Connection issue detected: CAMERA REBOOTING”.

I also tried using another cable (both cables were the official stereolabs cables), and repeatedly tried different ports, unplugging/re-plugging, etc. but none of those fix the issue. I also originally thought it could be a power issue (as USB on the jetson was also powering a GPS and IMU), but I moved those devices to a different power source and the issue still persists (the issue also persisted when testing the camera with a laptop that had nothing else plugged in).

I also tried re-installing the firmware, but I get the following message when I run: ZED_Explorer --updatefw /usr/local/zed/firmware/ZED2i/zed_2i_fw_v1523_spi.bin

** ZED Serial Number : 35404985
** ZED Model : ZED 2i
** Uploading FW: /usr/local/zed/firmware/ZED2i/zed_2i_fw_v1523_spi.bin
** New FW Version  :  2  – Old FW Version :  1523
Invalid firmware / camera model

Any ideas on what might the issue be?

To add onto this: I tried other versions of the ZED SDK (e.g., 5.4.0 and 5.2.2) but the issue persistes with this camera. I was able to successfully update the camera IMU firmware, but get the aforementioned issue when trying to install the “regular” firmware.

When the issue appears, it seems to take a longer time for the issue to first appear (e.g., if left unplugged overnight, then in the morning it might take ~5-10 minutes to appear, but then as the camera is used it might disconnect and reconnect every 1-2 minutes). In addition, more recently, it seems to get more prevalent and occasionally the camera will return frames that are entirely green, or frames where portions of the image border are smeared and completely pink in color.

I tried another camera (ZED 2) on both computers with the same ZED SDK installations, and that other camera had no issues.

I’m not sure if the issue with my ZED 2i is a hardware issue (the camera is only around a year old) or a possible software issue, so suggestions on how to possibly fix this issue are very much appreciated!

Hi @aschreiberuiuc
Welcome to the StereoLabs community

To assist you better, we need additional information regarding your device’s condition and system setup.

Please open a terminal console (Ctrl+Alt+t) and run this command:
sudo ZED_Diagnostic -c

After executing the command, kindly send me the content of the file ZED_Diagnostic_Results.json located in the folder where the commands were run.