What is the different between 2K and 1080HD? Better depth range?

Hi,

I wonder if 2K give a better recognition or further view?
For my another application, I may need to go further than 20m in my ZEDi, is it possible? ZEDx also has 20m max range it seems…

From my testing so far, 2K and 1080HD give similar result of object detection and skeleton.
If they are the same, when I do the recording later, I will use 1080HD as it use so much memory space…

Thx

Hi @AK51
2K and 1080p are two different image frame resolutions corresponding to different depth maps. The depth map generated using the 2K resolution is more detailed and dense.
The performance while detecting objects and skeletons is similar, with the 2K resolution the relative 3D information is more precise.
From the point of view of the range, the performance is similar.

Thanks for your reply.

So, 20m is the max range?

What is the furthest possible distance away from the camera? If the accuracy decrease, I can still accept.
My another application may need up to 40m range… Guess ZED is not suitable?

Thx

With 4 mm focal lenses, you can get reliable depth values up to 35-40 m.

Hi,

Do you mean I can modify the ZEDi hardware?
Is there any tutorial of the modification?
Any change of the code?

One of my potential application is at 10m-40m range, if possible.
But may be the person is too small to see…

Thx

No, you can not. The option is available at the time of purchase.

Oh thx.

I don’t mind to buy another one later. ZEDx ok right?

Cheers

Yes, ZED-X will have the same options

@Myzhar Hey, how about use 2K under the high speed situation. Like 60-80 km/h?

Hi @John
welcome to the Stereolabs community.

The ZED X global shutter sensors can reach 120 FPS at the resolution 960x600. This configuration can provide great results for such speeds.

Thanks Myzhar, I only have 2i right now. What are the best parameters when it comes to the 60km/h and outdoor scenario. I only want to get the more accurate depth.

I suggest you disable automatic exposure and set it to the lower allowed value in order to reduce the amount of blur effect introduced by the rolling shutter CMOS sensors.