Questions About ZED2i Multi-Camera Calibration

Hello all, we are using four ZED2i cameras and ZED360 & UnityLiveLink to stream skeleton data to Unity. The images of setup are attached:

Now we are have some questions regarding the system:
1.In ZED360, What can we do if the camera previews don’t reflect real-world position and rotation, even after multiple calibration attempts?
2.How often should we recalibrate? (sometimes calibration file from the morning doesn’t work in evening)
3.Is there some sort of continuous auto-calibration system, either out of box or something we could implement?
4.If cameras aren’t detected, are there better ways than unplugging the cameras & rebooting?

Hi @MarioYang,

Very cool setup!

Preliminary question:

• What version of the ZED SDK are you using?
  • Can you send a ZED Diagnostic result file? It’ll give us more info on your exact setup and the state of the SDK.

1.In ZED360, What can we do if the camera previews don’t reflect real-world position and rotation, even after multiple calibration attempts?

• How much discrepancy are you observing? With ~1 minute of calibration, you should have a pretty close setup.
  • How many fps do you have in ZED360? You can enable the metrics in the bottom-right of the window. If 15fps is not reached, the calibration quality can be impacted.
  • If you know the real-world positions and orientation of the cameras, it’s not ideal but you can adjust the values in the ZED360 configuration file by hand.

2.How often should we recalibrate? (sometimes calibration file from the morning doesn’t work in evening)

It depends on your setup, if the cameras are subject to many vibrations that can change their position and orientation, it would be good to recalibrate pretty often.

3.Is there some sort of continuous auto-calibration system, either out of box or something we could implement?

There isn’t for now. We’re studying solutions to monitor the quality of the calibration. I don’t have a definite solution for this, sorry.

4.If cameras aren’t detected, are there better ways than unplugging the cameras & rebooting?

You can enable async_grab_camera_recovery in the InitParameters of the sender, it should reboot the camera asynchronously without the need to unplug the camera. Calling the reboot method is also an option.