Heat mapping for people density: Are there similar existing open source projects/libraries?

Hi all,

Project Overview:
Im starting a project using a Zed2i to track the density of people in a venue over time as a heatmap. I.e. A use case would be: On x floor for the hours between 10am - 4pm provide an image of the room with a grid on the floor. Where the max. people were show that grid tile as red and show green for the tiles with the least activity.

Implementation:
Am new to spatial programming so could be off but am thinking this could can be split into 2 parts:

1. Using a Zed2i and the birds eye object detection example (zed-examples/object detection/birds eye viewer at master · stereolabs/zed-examples · GitHub) to define a grid of bounding boxed squares on the ground and track over fixed time intervals (1 minute or so) a tally of the number of unique people objects that cross each square, appending this information to a file like a json (i.e. minute → grid square # → num unique people)
  2. A screen where users input the time range and receive an overlaid jpg image which processes the spaces obj, bounding box definitions, # of people objects per tile info, works out the max / min users for the space/range, and colours each grid square appropriately based on the ‘activity’ in each area.

Question:
Just wondering if there are any more appropriate examples/ open source projects / libraries / API functions people know of that will could save me implementing this mostly from scratch? Ive spent a few good hours trawling forums and search engines but couldnt come up with anything yet.

Hi @salsus
I’m sorry, but here in Stereolabs we have not released examples that realize this kind of task.
What you described seems a good starting point.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you need support using the ZED SDK for this application.

Hi @Myzhar ,

Thank you for the response! Implementation is going well so far, will reach out if I need more support

1 Like