Am i Hard stuck with Jetson Nano and ZED2 - need advice

Dear ZED Community,
i’ve gone thru hell the past days trying to get my jetson nano and zed2 up and running. I bought some years ago when i had some spare time a Jetson Nano B01 and a ZED2, cause i wanted to get into ai racing, ros in general, also had the idea of building my own lawnmower… but ye i endet up in a big project then some family stuffed happened and now i find myself some years down the road with the old hardware and again some time to spare… and i thought… why not give it a shot.

After checking tons of versions and compatibility stuff i tried my best and after figuring out that the flashing of the jetson is not just downloading an image anymore, its more of connecting as mutch cables as you possibly can attach to it i finally have Jetson SDK 4.6.4 running and tryed again the zedsdk, but it keeps failing on something the internet seems to be somewhat full of tips but then again i think they misleading as i am on a jetson that should have numpy and all that preconfigured…

Anyway back to my point, where i would be more then thankful for some advice from people that are deeper into this than i am at the moment.

So i have this some years old Jetson Nano. I have some pi cam’s that are compatible, also some webcams and the zed2. I did figure out that the zed2 is anyway to powerful to work with the Nano cause of the RAM constraints. Found that somewhere here in the Forum. I also have a pretty beefy home pc with some gaming cards in it. And i have fair amount of knowledge when it comes to C/C++/Python and Go.

So what would be your advice if i wanna end up somewhere down the road with a little robot that naviagtes thru my flat. Should i throw the Nano and get an Orin and do there the basic opencv tutorials there, cause it seems this is where it all starts.
Or should i use my home pc and some basic camera to get into it and then start working with the Zed2 to get comfortable.

However as a veteran in coding just getting into image processing/ml and that stuff i know its a pretty big field, but what would be your advice if you read this and know that i am atm not want to do my own models but using some later down the road after getting comfortable with all the library’s.

ty for your help
dom

Hi @domdtour,

Welcome to the Stereolabs forums, thanks for reaching out! :slight_smile:

Regarding your setup, you should definitely be able to have your system up and running on Jetson Nano, we still have customers using the ZED on Jetson Nano. It’s more of question of what amount of compute you want in the end.

Our SDK still supports Jetpack 4.6.4 as of the latest 4.1.2 version, and the installation should only be a matter of installing our installer package (more info on that here: How to Install ZED SDK on NVIDIA® Jetson - Stereolabs

If you have issues with flashing jetpack on your Nano, I would suggest looking into NVidia’s SDK Manager if you haven’t already. And any issues you have with that you can post on Nvidia’s forums for more specialized help.

If you having any issues with the ZED SDK itself, I’d be glad to answer!

Hi there,

I’m a bit confused now :blush:. I must have misinterpreted some comments I found earlier.

I just reflashed my Jetson Nano Developer Kit with version 4.6.4. Following the instructions, I installed zstd via apt because the ZED SDK installer prompted me to do so. Everything seemed to be going well until I reached the Python API installation step, where I encountered the following error:

Installing collected packages: numpy
  Running setup.py install for numpy ... error
    Complete output from command /usr/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-lw_u6zge/numpy/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-lqfe1hdr-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile --user --prefix=:
    Running from numpy source directory.

Note: if you need reliable uninstall behavior, then install
    with pip instead of using `setup.py install`:

- `pip install .`       (from a git repo or downloaded source
                               release)
      - `pip install numpy`   (last NumPy release on PyPi)

Cythonizing sources

Error compiling Cython file:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
                self.rng_state.ctr.v[i] = counter[i]

self._reset_state_variables()

self._bitgen.state = <void *>&self.rng_state
            self._bitgen.next_uint64 = &philox_uint64
                                       ^
    ------------------------------------------------------------

_philox.pyx:195:35: Cannot assign type 'uint64_t (*)(void *) except? -1 nogil' to 'uint64_t (*)(void *) noexcept nogil'. Exception values are incompatible. Suggest adding 'noexcept' to the type of the value being assigned.
    numpy/random/_bounded_integers.pxd.in has not changed
    Processing numpy/random/_philox.pyx
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/tmp/pip-build-lw_u6zge/numpy/tools/cythonize.py", line 235, in <module>
        main()
      File "/tmp/pip-build-lw_u6zge/numpy/tools/cythonize.py", line 231, in main
        find_process_files(root_dir)
      File "/tmp/pip-build-lw_u6zge/numpy/tools/cythonize.py", line 222, in find_process_files
        process(root_dir, fromfile, tofile, function, hash_db)
      File "/tmp/pip-build-lw_u6zge/numpy/tools/cythonize.py", line 188, in process
        processor_function(fromfile, tofile)
      File "/tmp/pip-build-lw_u6zge/numpy/tools/cythonize.py", line 78, in process_pyx
        [sys.executable, '-m', 'cython'] + flags + ["-o", tofile, fromfile])
      File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 311, in check_call
        raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
    subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['/usr/bin/python3', '-m', 'cython', '-3', '--fast-fail', '-o', '_philox.c', '_philox.pyx']' returned non-zero exit status 1.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
      File "/tmp/pip-build-lw_u6zge/numpy/setup.py", line 508, in <module>
        setup_package()
      File "/tmp/pip-build-lw_u6zge/numpy/setup.py", line 488, in setup_package
        generate_cython()
      File "/tmp/pip-build-lw_u6zge/numpy/setup.py", line 285, in generate_cython
        raise RuntimeError("Running cythonize failed!")
    RuntimeError: Running cythonize failed!

----------------------------------------
Command "/usr/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-lw_u6zge/numpy/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-lqfe1hdr-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile --user --prefix=" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-lw_u6zge/numpy/
ERROR : An error occurred, 'pip' failed to setup python dependencies packages (pyzed was NOT correctly setup)

WARNING! Python API failed to install

Hi @domdtour,

Indeed this issue has been reported previously by another user, can you try the trick mentioned in this reply? Pyzed error Jetson TX2 - #6 by alassagne