Adding new avatars to animate in Unity

I am attempting to add new 3D models to use as avatars. What I did was pull the example model into Maya, extract its skeleton and then bind it to a new model which I then exported as fbx into Unity. I then applied everything to that new model just as the example avatars have expecting it to work properly, instead it gave me an error “hips not found” as well as KeyNotFoundException: The given key ‘Hips’ was not present in the dictionary.
System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].get_Item (TKey key) (at :0)
SkeletonHandler.MoveAnimator (System.Boolean smoothingEnabled, System.Single smoothValue) (at Assets/ZED/SDK/Helpers/Scripts/BodyTracking/SkeletonHandler.cs:982)
ZEDSkeletonAnimator.ApplyAllRigRotationsOnAnimator () (at Assets/ZED/SDK/Helpers/Scripts/BodyTracking/ZEDSkeletonAnimator.cs:75)
ZEDSkeletonAnimator.OnAnimatorIK () (at Assets/ZED/SDK/Helpers/Scripts/BodyTracking/ZEDSkeletonAnimator.cs:120)
Repeated every frame, what is the cause of this and how do I make the model work properly?

Hi,

It looks like the Animation Type of your avatar is not set to Humanoid.

Can you make sure the avatar is correctly setup by folowing these steps ?

Best,

Hi,

I figured it out, I had it set as humanoid but what happened was that Maya appended the file names of each joint to add “Unity_fbx” which broke it, so I reimported to Maya without that and then it worked as intended!
Thank you!

Glad to hear you managed to fix your problem.

Have a great day!